Imagine you’re going on a hike that lasts a couple of days or maybe just camping or on a fishing trip with friends. A traditional shelter for the night would be a tent, right? However, you can get a much more lightweight option that’s easier to setup, easier to carry around and has some great advantages – it’s a hammock.
This time we have tested and come up with our Top 8 best camping hammocks available today. All of them are very durable and supportive. All that’s left to do is choose your best fit.
A quick guide on how to choose an ideal camping hammock
Before you consider any of hammocks mentioned below or in a local store, you should decide how you will use your hammock and how frequently, how much should it cost, weight and so on. Here are the main criteria to consider:
- Weight – If you don’t have to walk miles and you rather just choose setting up your hammock nearby your car, you shouldn’t worry about the weight. But if you’re planning to go on hikes that are at least 10 miles long, weight is probably the most important criteria. You always want a lightweight hammock as possible.
- Quality and durability – Nearly all hammocks are made of nylon that’s really strong. Pay attention to all components that come with the hammock including straps, carabiners and so on. As you’re evaluated from a ground, there’s risk of falling down, in case you have a poor quality hammock. Therefore, we always recommend getting from a trusty manufacturer.
- Supported weight – Each hammock has a supported weight limit that shouldn’t be exceeded. If you’re a fairly large guy or just want to keep all your stuff in a hammock while sleeping, it’s worth paying attention to these numbers.
8 Best Camping Hammocks
1. Sea to Summit Ultralight Hammock
- The World Lightest Hammock
- Whisper light yet strong Nylon 66 monofilament fabric
- High strength, lightweight aluminum 6061 to shave extra grams
Sea to Summit is our number one pick because it’s perfect for hikes. Why? It’s super lightweight, durable and when packed into the stuff sack, it’s around the size of a small water bottle. Unfolded it has a size of 8.5 feet by 4 feet. That’s not exactly great, however, it’s enough for most of the people. Recommended weight is 300lbs so, if you are a heavy guy or want to keep all your stuff with you while sleeping, this is an ideal choice.
This hammock is for true adventure seekers and hikers not for the ones who want to use the hammock in their backyard. If so, you should probably look for a cheaper hammock. However, if you’re serious about camping, this is the choice for you. To be precise this hammock weights 5.4oz or 155g. That’s about as much as your smartphone does. And this is esentially if you are covering many miles on your hikes.
Another cool thing about this product is its design and materials. It’s unique. The buckles are made from aluminum 6061, meaning they are super lightweight. The hammock itself isn’t super warm. You should do just fine in summers; however, when the weather gets colder, you should probably pick another hammock as wind can pass right through this hammock. But this doesn’t mean it’s bad. For example, on super warm days it’s essential to have a hammock that “breathes” and if it gets wet, it can dry out much faster.
- Attaches directly to hammocks via quick connect buckles
- Almost 10 feet long when deployed; compact when packed
- Easy to adjust suspension system
Unfortunately, if you have decided to get this hammock, you will also have to buy Sea to Summit Suspension Straps that are sold separately. The weight of suspension straps is 6 ounces, and they are about 10 feet in length.
2. Trek Light Gear – Pioneering Lightweight Hammock
- CLASSIC HAMMOCK - Slim and streamlined, our classic model is the ultimate combination of lightweight portability and...
- ELEVATE YOUR CAMPING - the Single Hammock is quick and easy to set up, and keeps you snug and comfortable while enjoying...
- PERFECT SIZE - The Single Hammock measures 5’ wide and 10’ long. Holds up to 400 lbs and only weighs 16 oz! Less...
If you’re on the hunt for a simple yet very durable hammock that can support a lot of weight, A wise choice is checking out Trek Light Gear Single Hammock. With a weight of one pound, it’s pretty lightweight. However, it doesn’t stand anywhere near our top pick. One of the biggest advantages of this hammock is the ability to support up to 400 pounds, and when it’s unfolded, it measures in at 10 feet by 5 feet which is fairly large.
Another thing worth mentioning is that instead of gate carabiners, this hammock has S-shaped hooks. They are very durable and does their job well, however, for extra safety, we would have wanted to see standard carabiners. Otherwise, this is a very durable hammock that can withstand quite a lot. As for carrying – it doesn’t have compression sack, which means it takes up quite a lot of space.
Overall, this is a superb hammock that comes with respectable 3-year warranty and is well suited for heavy loads. Therefore it’s more suited for fishing trips and camping not for hiking miles and miles.
3. Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
- BUG-FREE HAMMOCK: Grey No-See-Um mosquito netting hangs overhead and away from you so you can still read a book or sip a...
- EASY ENTRY AND EXIT: Double-sided zipper makes getting in and out of the hammock a seamless process. Triple-stitched...
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: If the coast is clear and you donʼt need the mosquito netting, just ﬂip the hammock over and sit on...
If you need a hammock that has tons of space, this is it. Although Grand Trunk Skeeter isn’t perfect for long hikes as it’s fairly heavy, it’s more than superb for camping. A cool thing we loved was included bug net so you can calmly sleep without any insects biting you.
As for quality, everything here is top-notch. The hammock is made of parachute nylon, meaning it’s very durable. This hammock can support up to 400lbs. Even two people cloud sleep together in this hammock, that is of course if they are ready to be very tight together. You can choose it in one of three colors: Navy/Forest, Olive Green/Khaki, and Woodland Camo.
4. ENO SingleNest Hammock
- 【Heating Area】This electric glove upgraded to use composite fiber and polyster materia. heating elements covers...
- 【Ideal Christmas or Birthday Gift】With high quality composite fiber heating material and anti-slip palm design, the...
- 【Notes on Heated Gloves】When you receive the heated gloves, please charge 2 batteries about 8 hours for fully...
ENO SingleNest Hammock is the best allrounder meaning it’s suited for most of the people. Whether you are on a hike, fishing trip, hunting or just camping, SingeNest will do just great. When it’s unfolded, it measures in at 9 feet by 4 feet which is decent. As most hammocks, also ENO’s SingleNest is made from high-quality Nylon weighing only 1 pound and being able to support up to 400 pounds.
Another very important thing about a hammock is a comfort. In most of them, you feel very tight, squeezed by the hammock wrapping around you. However, this is not the case. ENO SingeNest surprisingly felt very comfortable.
The built-in stuff sack is well thought out. It comes with compression straps that can make this hammock very compact – 4 inches by 5 inches, and when it’s unfolded, you can use this sack as a storage compartment. You can get one in a variety of colors. There are literally over 20+ colors to choose from.
Unfortunately, you will have to buy suspension straps separately which is quite a lame, especially for a hammock in this budget range.
5. Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock
- Comfortably Supporting Up To 500 lbs: This double hammock fits 2 persons, You can lay down with your friend or loved one...
- Super Lightweight And Easy Setup: The backpacking hammock can be used for camping, travel, beach, yard. You will have...
- Great Gift: Adults, kids, people who travel, beach visitors, tent campers and fellow Winner - all say they LOVE IT! A...
If you’re on a budget, yet still want a decent hammock, this product is worth checking out. In fact, for some camping and trips, you probably don’t even need a super fancy and expensive lightweight hammock. Most of the people reading this should do more than great with a hammock that is this affordable.
This is a fairly large hammock that can support for up to 500lbs and can fit two persons. Just remember that you will be very tight. The hammock itself is made from 210T nylon parachute fabric meaning it’s very durable.
In the package, you get everything necessary. You can just unbox it, and it’s ready to use. You won’t have to buy any additional suspension straps as for more expensive hammocks reviewed above.
6. Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock
- Perfect alternative to a tent and sleeping pad for the light and cost-conscious traveler
- If you are traveling or backpacking in a place where nights are colder, you can still tote this hammock along to use for...
- Sturdy S-shaped hanging hooks, durable polyester, and triple-stitched seams boost the hammockʼs strength
One of the cheapest hammocks on this list is Gran Trunk ultralight hammock. It weighs only 12 ounces and is perfect hammock if you occasionally go on hikes or trips. It measures in at 9 feet 6 inches by 4feet and 6 inches and can support up to 200lbs. It’s very water resistant keeping you dry if it does get wet during your hike.
Overall, you can definitely tell where is the budget difference between this hammock and more expensive ones. However, it’s great for its budget.
7. Hennessy Hammock Expedition Series hammock
- EXPEDITION CLASSIC is our most popular Classic jungle camping hammock designed for anyone up to 6ft and 250lbs (183cm /...
- COMPLETE jungle hammock shelter system for one price includes: tightly woven 70d high density nylon bottom; 30D...
- HENNESSY HAMMOCK is a serious 3 or 4 season lightweight camping and survival shelter built tough for years of service in...
Hennessy Expedition series hammock is very lightweight, comfortable and durable hammock. First of all, we would like to say that it isn’t supposed to be used by all people. The maximum height limit is 6 feet. This is one of the rare hammocks that comes with included trap, bug net and has some nice features like a zipper for easier access and interior pocket.
This hammock can support up to 250lbs so even really large guys should do just fine. Just make sure, you’re not taller than already mentioned 6 feet. Otherwise, it won’t be comfortable.
8. Lawson Hammock Blue Ridge Camping Hammock
- RATED #1: By Backpacker, Outside and American Survival Guide. Winner of the prestigious Gear Of The Year Award.
- HAMMOCK AND A TENT IN ONE: Patented design with a unique arch pole/spreader bar system that allows for use suspended...
- USE ANYWHERE: Most versatile tent hammock in the world. Perfect for all types of camping; car camping, backpacking, bike...
One of the biggest downsides of hammocks is their comfort. You always feel squeezed by their fabric, it’s hard to turn from one side to another, and your head and feet are always higher than your bottom. For some, this may be a deal breaker. However, there is a solution. Lawson offers us a hammock that has a suspension bridge that keeps tension equal along edges of the hammock. In the result, you get a completely flat sleeping position. It also comes with bug net so nothing can harm your sweet sleep.
However, there are downsides and the biggest one is weight. This hammock weighs 4.25lbs and it comes with poles. All of that has to be carried during hikes. Also, you will need a wider trap for rain and wind protection that will also add up weight. Overall, we think this is the most comfortable hammock of all, however, it does weigh quite a lot and isn’t too handy to carry.
A proper backpacking or camping hammock is an excellent alternative to a tent. It elevates you from the ground keeping reptiles and animals away. It can be easily set up and doesn’t weigh a lot. Despite that, there are numerous of different hammock available each of them being made for different purposes. If you’re hiking for at least 3 days, you definitely want to get the most lightweight hammock. If you want a hammock for camping and some one-night fishing trips, you can buy a larger and more comfortable hammock. In the end, it all depends on your needs.
Hopefully, this article helped you choose your perfect fit, or if it doesn’t, at least you got some ideas and thoughts about what you like and what you don’t as well as insight of what to look for when choosing a hammock.
Last update on 2020-08-20 at 15:37 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API