Best Internal Hard Drives – Both Laptop 2.5” and Desktop 3.5” HDD – 2017
Last updated: March 26, 2017
If you are looking for the best internal hard drive, then you have found the answer. I do realize that most of you have very busy schedules and have no time to read long reviews, and that is the reason why we made the list below. Our guide includes hard drives with the best price per GB ratio, combined with speed, warranty, reliability and customer reviews. So you can easily find the best hard drives for your needs, saving a lot of time and money at the same time.
Nowadays it can be very frustrating for a non-expert in hard drives and storage devices to find the best hard drive. After long hours of hard drive tests and research, we determined that the Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD is the best hard drive for a laptop on the market, at the moment. It is Solid State Hybrid drive that offers both performance and capacity for a low price. In last years, our need for a bigger storage device is growing rapidly and drives must be much faster and more reliable to manage all that data. Solid State Drives, also known as SSD are the fastest ones, but they are also much more expensive and with lower capacity than mechanical hard discs.
It is very hard to determine top pick from 3.5-inch desktop hard drives, because of their vast diversity. Some of them are manufactured for NAS, some for backup or surveillance systems. To find the best 3.5-inch hard drive, you definitely must know where you will put it and use it.
How to choose between SSD, SSHD and HDD?
It depends on your situation, purpose, budget and whether you have a Laptop or PC. No doubt, if you have a laptop, you need to look at SSD or SSHD if you don`t want to spend a lot of money then you should buy SSHD. Solid State Hybrid Drives are faster than mechanical hard drives, but they will cost you almost the same money as internal hard disc drives. If you don`t care so much about the money and it`s all about speed, then a Solid State Drive is for you.
For example, 1TB HDD or SSHD drives will cost quite below $100, but the price for a 1TB SSD will be more than $300, that`s a big difference. Also, you need to find out more about your laptop, because if your laptop uses IDE, then you need IDE to SATA. All SSD will work on any laptop that is using an SATA drive connection. On some laptops, you can install both HDD and SSD because they have a place for two drives. Combining both HDD and SSD is the best option to increase performance, capacity and to save as much money as possible.
Use two drives – SSD and HDD on desktop computer to increase performance and capacity
The same applies if you have a personal computer, then you should combine two types of hard drives – SSD and HDD. You can install your operating system on the SSD and store all your movies, music and pictures on a much bigger HDD drive. By doing that, you will have the superior speed of SSD and plenty of capacity from the HDD. Overall you get faster boot times, faster program and game launches.
It is a good idea to read through Amazon customer reviews, where you can find a lot of very useful information about the drive you have chosen to buy. To find the most reliable internal hard drive in the long term we looked at Backblaze data and other similar sources. Cloud Backup companies can offer a massive amount of hard drive reliability data because they have thousands of hard drives running non-stop all the time. In the list below you can see the top best internal hard drives, for both laptop and desktop computers.
The Top 9 – Best 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drives for PC and NAS
The Seagate BarraCuda Pro is our top pick. It’s the best 3.5-inch desktop internal hard drive for the money. The drive offers a great price, combined with a lot of capacity and nice performance. The hard disk comes in many capacities: 2TB, 4TB, 6TB, 8TB, and massive 10TB. Notice that cache size varies for different capacities, for example, its 128mb for 2TB version and 256mb for 6TB version. It offers more different capacities/ sizes than most of the competitors.
The 8TB model, at the moment, costs just 20$ more then the WD Black 6TB version, and 6TB is even cheaper than WD RED 6TB. With 7200RPM, 128mb of cache and 12ms seek time drive offers a pretty good performance, twice as fast as WD Green. Drive works faster while working with big files, it wrote 5TB test file at 170Mb/s and read it back at 160Mb/s. With smaller 500GB file both read and write speeds were almost the same, on average at 80Mb/s.
Seagate BarraCuda Pro has improved power efficiency over older desktop drives and is meant for such systems as personal computers (PC and Mac), network attached storages (NAS), PC-based game systems and home networks. Product dimensions: 4 x 5.8 x 1 inches (10.2 x 14,7 x 2.5 cm) and weight is 1.4 pounds (0.63 kg), Amazon shipping weight is 1.72 pounds (0.78 kg).
- Storage with a 6Gb/s SATA III Interface
- SATA improved burst performance
- Seagate AcuTrac servo technology delivers dependable performance, even with hard disc track widths of just 75 nanometers
- Seagate OptiCache technology boosts overall performance by as much as 45% over the previous generation.
- Best Fit Applications include: Desktop or all-in-one PCs, Home servers, PC-based game systems, Desktop RAID, Direct attached external storage devices (DAS), Network attached storage devices (NAS)
2. Western Digital Black 6TB Review, 7200RPM, 128mb cache (WD6001FZWX) – Excellent for PC
Are you looking for performance and capacity? WD Black is excellent for every-day usage on personal computers, made for gamers, photo/video editors and hobbyists. WD Black offers outstanding write/read speeds in six different capacities up to 6TB. The available capacities are – 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB, 5TB and 6TB, many capacities to fit everyone`s budget. Drive has a 5-year limited warranty which is a lot more to closest competition which has only 1-3 year warranty. Spin speed is 7200RPM and cache size is 128MB. The hard drive has SATA 6GB/s (SATA3) standard interface. When compared to other 7200RPM drives the WD Black on average was 30Mb/s faster than competition. On average WD Black showed 220Mb/s for both reading and writing, sometimes going even as high as 248Mb/s. Top average latency readings at just 5.0ms. Wd Black is even faster than WD Red Pro and Seagate Desktop HDD. This WD Black drive also features Vibration Control Technology (VCT) which leads to increased reliability, accuracy and long-term performance. Product dimensions: 5.8 x 4 x 1 inches (14 x 10 x 1 cm) and weighs 1.1 pounds (0.5 kg), shipping weight is 1.2 pounds (0.54 kg).
- Next-generation desktop performance hard drive designed to intensify your PC experience.
- Improved Architectural Designs, featuring a Dual Core Processor, High-Resolution Controller, and StableTrac Technology
- Improved Data Protection, with Vibration Control Technology, Corruption Protection Technology, and No Touch Ramp Load Technology
- 1 TB capacity holds up to 200,000 digital photos, 250,000 MP3 files, and 120 hours of HD video.
- Superior responsiveness with the next-generation speed that you need
- Package includes a hard drive only – no screws, cables, manuals included. Please purchase mounting hardware and cables separately if necessary
Product dimensions: 5.8 x 4 x 1 inches (14,7 x 10.2 x 2,6 cm) and weight is 1.3 pounds (0.61 kg).
- Cost-effective storage upgrade for laptop or desktop computers
- Store all your games, music, movies and more with up to 4TB of storage
- SATA 6Gb/s interface optimizes burst performance
- Seagate Secure models for hardware-based data security
- Instant Secure Erase allows safe and easy drive retirement, plus protect data with Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) models
4. Western Digital Blue 1TB, 7200RPM, 64mb (WD10EZEX) HDD Review
- WD Blue hard drives have a multitude of features including third-generation SATA interface with 6 GB/s transfer rate, plus rock solid performance and ultra-cool and quiet operation. SATA cable isn’t included with the item
- WhisperDrive technology minimizes noise to levels near the threshold of human hearing
- SoftSeek technology streamlines read/write seeking algorithms, resulting in more efficient operation
- 1 TB capacity holds up to 200,000 digital photos, 250,000 MP3 files, and 120 hours of HD video
5. WD Red NAS 6TB Hard Drive Review – The Best 3.5 inch internal hard drive for NAS (WD60EFRX)
The WD RED is the perfect choice for home or small office NAS. A huge capacity up to 6TB, especially optimized for consumer NAS but still much more affordable than enterprise storage. The alternatives like Seagate Enterprise HDD and HGST Helium drives costs almost twice as much asWD Red. WD Red is specifically designed for a small 1-8 bay NAS, there also is newer WD Red Pro model which is designed for 8-16 bay storage devices. It is a 3.5 inch drive with a 64mb cache, SATA 6Gb/s interface (SATA3). Drives does not have 5400RPM or 7200RPM but IntelliPower technology, it balances spin speed to improve performance and save power. This drive comes with a 3-year warranty, also phone support. The hard drive is engineered to work 24/7. WD Red is the best hard drive in the low-power hard drive category, it reached 143Mb/s reading and 142Mb/s writing speeds whilst all other drives could achieve only below the 140Mb/s mark, drives such as: Seagate Barracuda Green, Samsung Spinpoint F4EG, WD Caviar green and others. The drive comes in various capacities: 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB, 5TB and a massive 6TB version. Product dimensions: 5.8 x 4 x 1 inches (14.7 x 10.2 x 2.5 cm), weighs 1.7 pounds (0.77 kg), shipping weight is 1.8 pounds.